Yellow Shamrock


To my pleasant surprise I discovered another beautiful plant near my garden--one that goes unnoticed because it is usually hidden in other grasses and plants. I had to do a little research and surfed the web to identify the pretty plant known as Trifolium dubium or by the common name "Least Hop Clover" or "Yellow Shamrock." Here is a nice poem dedicated to this plant by Katharine Bates:

"Our wee, gold-dusty flower, the yellow clover,
Which once in Parting for a time
That then seemed long,
Ere time for you was over."
http://www.paghat.com/hopsclover.html
I asked myself what can this be used for, and only found one website that stated "
A poultice of the chopped plant has been applied to cuts to stop the bleeding." Has anyone had any experience or used this plant for healing purposes?

4 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Oh, the lovely, how they humble.

I know this little plant, for I see it growing here and there. But I've yet paused to nurture any intimacy yet (too many others in the queue waving at me for attention).

But - THANK YOU - for now I know this sweet weed a bit more than I did a mere moment ago. :)

Unknown said...

i think this is the plant i've allowed to grow along the border of the stone wall beside my driveway....i thought it was just another kind of buttercup but when i went out and looked at the leaves, i see they look like your pictures... thanks so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday while out playing I found Hop Clovers..only a few. Trifolium aureum. What a pretty yellow flower they have.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

I too recetly spotted some along a magical place where forest meets meadow.